Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What a Difference a Day Makes

Today (Monday), we went to the new school to get Daniel’s classes.  The 2013 graduation class requirements for Washington State changed this year.  It is apparently not a good year to come here to school as a Junior. 
Daniel went from .5 years required Social Studies to 4.0 years required.  To make up for lost time, it is necessary to take two social studies classes back to back this year.  He also needs 4 years of math and since the required Algebra credit was denied because he took it in 8th grade, he must take Statistics this year and Calculus next year.
It also appears that he has met his fitness requirements although every teacher and every student asked him to participate in sports.  He needs 1.5 semester credits in “Arts” but those beautiful pens he learned to make in woodshop don’t qualify.  Tomorrow he catches the bus at 7:10 a.m. for an 8:25 a.m. start time, but tonight he is not a happy camper. 
Northport Schools are on the trimester system.  Each semester is 12 weeks long and each class is 1 hour and 10 minutes long and only 5 class periods throughout the day.  He is tired of being asked to participate in sports and wonders how he will get all of his homework done.  I, as his mother of course, feel like shit.  I already destroyed his online game life, what’s next?
On the bright side, we had land line telephone installed today.  So you can call us and we can call you. 
I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my hot water heater, an online purchase recommended by the plumber.  It’s a new type guaranteed not to leak for life (who’s life?).  It’s called Marathon and it is an 85 gallon tank!  That should be enough hot water to fill my new bathtub when it arrives.  The tub is Release by Pearl, a deep soaking tub, no jets.  I want peace and quiet in the tub and I’ve missed my big tub in Nevada since we sold the house.
I wanted to wait to post this until Daniel got home from his first day at school.  It seems that fear of the unknown was a big factor on his first day.  Although the day was long and he is tired (first on the bus, last off), he survived with minimal damage.  The new classes will be a challenge, but there are four new exchange students at school, two from Belgium, one from Denmark and one from Ecuador.  He realizes that maybe it isn’t so bad to be at a school where the kids are responsible for their education and finding their way.  After listening to the events of his first day I am angered at the lack of many things at the school he left behind.
I almost feel sorry for those kids in Nevada that don’t have a clue what’s in store for their future.  No guidance assistance, no prep for college.  The new school offers college credit if you are willing to work for it. 
On the home front, the electrician cannot start for a week.  We spent the day raking rocks and general property maintenance.  We cancelled a few utilities we left behind and phoned a few friends with the new number.  The debate now is whether to begin a deck for mom or send Don off to Nevada for the tractor.  Decision, decisions. 
The weather today was gorgeous, mild and bug free.  It was so pleasant to sit outside in the woods and breathe the air and not have a single regret (so far).  I still miss the internet, but not so much.  
(photo courtesy of Grady Knight0

No comments:

Post a Comment